So why hasn’t Congress already raised taxes on the rich? Perhaps because the superwealthy have raised a lot more political money than the rest of us.
- Percent of donations to super-PACs this year that come from just 196 Americans: 80
- Amount the Koch brothers and their foundations plan to spend to defeat Obama: $395 million
- Total money raised by John McCain’s 2008 presidential campaign: $384 million
- Number of billionaires who’ve made donations to Mitt Romney’s super-PAC, Restore Our Future: 32
- Percentage of Americans who give more than $10,000 in any election cycle: 0.01
"Now, there are many millions in their sects and churches who feel the order, ‘Do thou,’ and throw their weight into obedience. And there are millions more who feel predestination in ‘Thou shalt.’ Nothing they may do can interfere with what will be. But ‘Thou mayest’! Why, that makes a man great, that gives him stature with the gods, for in his weakness and his filth and his murder of his brother he has still the great choice. He can choose his course and fight it through and win.” Subscribe via RSS.